#ReadingWithDad Social Media Challenge
June 9, 2017
As part of the Read to be Ready initiative, Governor’s Books from Birth Foundation, Tennessee’s Imagination Library, and Southern Word are celebrating fathers (and father figures) who read with children!
Here is how you can get involved:
- Watch and share the video above. It is a must see for dads and father figures! Share with the hashtags #readingwithdad and #readtobereadytn
- Share a picture (or video) of dads and father figures reading with children during the week of June 12 to 18. Post with the hashtags #readingwithdad and #readtobereadytn. Sample text to include in your posts is located at the end of this blog.
- If you are attending an event this week, bring along a book (especially an Imagination Library book) to have the males in attendance read. Take pictures (or video) and post with the hashtags #readingwithdad and #readtobereadytn
Did you know?
- Currently, only 43 percent of students are reading on grade level by the time they leave third grade.
- In 2016, Tennessee’s Department of Education launched its Read to Be Ready initiative with the goal of increasing the percentage to 75 percent by 2025.
- Fathers who are actively involved in their children’s lives contribute to their emotional health, overall wellness, social development and self-respect, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Dedicated and responsible fathering during infancy and early childhood also contributes to emotional security, as well as improved math and verbal skills
- Reading with your children is a powerful tool for early literacy.
For more information about the #readingwithdad social media challenge, click here.
For additional sample content to use on social media to join in the #readingwithdad challenge, click here.